The Basic Types of Entry Doors
There are an almost unlimited number of doors out there, so how do you choose entry doors for your Winnipeg, MB home? The best place to start is with the basics. There are a few basic kinds of entry doors, each with their own pros and cons. Read on to learn about these entry doors so you can choose the best ones for your home.
Fiberglass - Fiberglass entry doors are a practical choice. They have a smooth surface that can easily be embossed with a wood-like texture, and can also be made with edge treatments for more personality. Fiberglass doors are pretty tough against wear and tear, and can be painted or stained. They are moderately priced, but can crack under severe impact.
Steel – Steel entry doors take up about half the door market. This is because they are relatively inexpensive and offer better security when compared to fiberglass and wood doors. They require minimal maintenance, and are also very energy efficient. However, steel doors don’t resist weather as well as fiberglass or wood doors, and do not hold up well under abuse laboratory tests that mimic strong winds, torrential rain, or long term wear and tear. It’s also important to keep in mind that steel doors are hard to fix if dented to scratched.
Wood – Wood is the high-end material that other doors always try to mimic. They are the toughest in the face of wear and tear, and are the least likely of all door materials to dent. If they do dent or scratch, they’re relatively easy to repair. Wood doors, though, can be very expensive. They also require lots of maintenance to look their best.
Once you pick an entry door type you get to choose the features. Some common entry door features are:
Adjustable thresholds help keep the door weather and water tight over time. Without an adjustable threshold you may need to add a new sweep over time.
Glass inserts are an easy way to personalize your entry door. Though glass inserts add to the overall cost, they are always attractive. If you add glass close to the door’s lock, think about adding a double cylinder dead bolt for extra security so a burglar can’t just break the glass to get in. You can also add glass to the top or center of an entry door.
Rails and Stiles are the horizontal and vertical braces on a wood door. Solid wood models may bow or warp over time, so important to look for rails and stiles made from laminated wood covered with a veneer for extra warping resistance.
If you want to learn more about the above entry door types of features, or have any other entry door questions, Pioneer Window & Door Mfg Ltd. We offer many Winnipeg, MB entry door services, and would be happy to help you in any way we can. Visit our showroom located at 3224 Portage Ave Winnipeg, MB R3K 0Y8, or give us a call at (204) 889-8422 today for more information.
- Great Patio Door Locks
- Custom Glass For Custom Windows And Doors
- Save On Replacement Windows
- Should Your Entry Door Have Glass?
- All About Choosing Patio Doors
- Home Security and Custom Windows and Doors
- Do Replacement Windows Really Save You Money?
- Basic Types of Entry Doors
- Ten Steps For Amazing Patio Doors
- Tips and Tricks for Choosing the Best Custom Windows and Doors
- The Different Kinds of Replacement Windows
- Entry Door Security
- Patio Door Security
- Stained Glass For Your Custom Windows And Doors
- Replacement Windows and Your Historic Home
- The Basic Types of Entry Doors
- Choosing Your Ideal Patio Doors
- Amazing Features For Your Custom Windows and Doors
- Energy Efficiency Labels on Replacement Windows
- Trendy Entry Doors For Your Winnipeg, MB Home
- Top Patio Door Trends For 2018
- The Benefits of Custom Windows and Doors
- Energy Star Replacement Windows
- How to Choose the Right Entry Doors for Your Home
- 4 Priorities When Buying New Patio Doors
- Why Vinyl is an Excellent Material for Custom Windows and Doors
- 5 Questions to Ask When Choosing Replacement Windows
- Is it Time for New Entry Doors in Winnipeg, MB?
- 3 Types of Patio Doors in Winnipeg, MB
- Why Invest in Custom Windows and Doors in Winnipeg, MB?
- 5 Tips for Replacement Windows in Winnipeg, MB
- Financial Considerations When Choosing Windows in Selkirk, MB
- Home Value Increases from New Windows in Winnipeg
- Why Vinyl Windows Outperform Other Products in Lockport, MB
- Getting Started with Replacement Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Why You Need New Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Homeowner Tips: Caring for Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- What is the Cost of Window Installation in Selkirk, MB?
- 4 Features to Consider When Selecting Windows in Winnipeg
- The Best Care Tips for Windows in Winnipeg
- 5 Important Benefits of New Windows in Winnipeg
- Do You have Energy Efficient Windows Installed in Your Selkirk, MB Home?
- How to Find a Reliable Window Contractor in Selkirk, MB
- Are Vinyl Windows the Right Choice for Your Home in Lockport, MB?
- Choosing Vinyl Windows for a Property in Lockport, MB?
- 3 Signs It is Time to Replace the Windows in Your St Francis Xavier Home
- Quality Windows are Necessary to Reduce the Risk of Pest Infestations in St Francis Xavier
- Window Consultation in Winnipeg: Why Both Homeowners Should be in Attendance
- Residential Windows in Selkirk, MB: Should You Expect Wear and Tear?
- Easy Window Installation in St Francis Xavier
- 4 Steps to Choosing the Best Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- Why You Always Need an Experienced Contractor for Vinyl Window Installation in Lockport, MB
- Windows and Warranties: What Winnipeg Homeowners Need to Know
- Selkirk, MB Homeowners: How Can You Tell When the Windows Need to Be Replaced?
- Tips to Find a Professional Window Installer in St Francis Xavier
- 3 Things to Consider Before Choosing Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Vinyl Windows Are a Great Solution for Energy Efficiency in Lockport, MB
- You Deserve Quality Windows in Selkirk, MB
- Choosing the Right Windows in Winnipeg
- When is the Best Time of Year to Replace Windows in Winnipeg?
- Window Shopping in Selkirk, MB? Here’s What You Need to Know
- Proven Steps to Choose New Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- What Should You Do about Drafty Windows in St Francis Xavier?
- Easy Tips to Help You Choose a Windows Contractor in St Francis Xavier
- 4 Benefits of Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- How to Tell When the Windows Need to Be Replaced in Your Selkirk, MB Property
- How Much Should You Spend on Windows in Winnipeg?
- Choosing The Right Replacement Windows For Your Winnipeg Home
- Preparing For Your Window Replacement Project In St. Francis Xavier, MB!
- The Right Replacement Windows For Your East St. Paul, MB Home
- Replacement Window FAQs For The West St. Paul, MB Homeowner
- Your Whole-Home Replacement Window Project in Selkirk, MB
- Lockport, MB Window Replacements Just For You
- Knowing When To Replace Your Headingley, MB Windows
- Your Winnipeg Home's Entry Door & Your Unique Character
- A Patio Door For All Seasons
- Choose Pioneer For Your Custom Windows And Doors