Measurements, Fabric And Other Things To Decide On Before Buying Curtains
Curtains are simultaneously the most crucial as well as the most underrated part of interior design. Most of the times, they are overshadowed by the more prominent elements in interior design, but you certainly feel their absence if the windows are bare.
So even if you feel like your curtain choice won’t matter in the long run, know that it certainly does. Six months – or even a year and more – down the road you’ll definitely be noticing the fabric, the hardware and the topping – don’t make any mistakes that will cost you a lot more in the long run. So today, we’ll be looking at measurements, fabric and other things to decide on before buying curtains. Let’s have a look:
The most common mistake that homeowners tend to make while buying their curtains is not taking the right measurements. A curtain whose size and dimensions are based on shoddy guesswork is definitely going to end up being an eyesore. So, before you hit the market, take out that measuring tape from your toolbox and take measurements of all the windows that need to be draped and furnished.
Remember that not all windows in your house or condo are of the same size, so you’ll need to be very specific with all the dimensions you take. This will help you make better-informed decisions about the amount of fabric you’ll need, how much extra leeway you may need at the top and bottom of your curtains, along with what style may suit well for certain spaces.
- Type of fabric
The type of fabric you choose for your curtain depends upon both your preferred aesthetic as well as your budget. Some fabrics are definitely more inexpensive than others, but they may not have the same visual quality as the expensive ones.
A common affordable choice is a polyester, but try not to use that in your condo’s kitchen windows as the material is highly flammable. Cotton, on the other hand, makes for a lovely traditional-style fabric. Elongated silk curtains have a certain panache that emulates elegance and luxury. Then there are sheer curtains, which emulate a highly modern look, and will be the perfect material to let in diffused, opaque natural light. You can switch them with lace as well, for a more romantic effect.
- Style of curtain
The style of your curtain is also something you need to decide before buying. You need to match it with the overall interior design theme of your house. If the aesthetics clash, you’ll have a huge interior design faux pas on your hands. So, if your house has been styled to emulate the traditional or neo-classical style, then try to go for curtains that either have elaborate pelmets or valances with rich, luxurious fabric to complement the grand style. However, if your house has been styled to emulate a rather contemporary vibe that is modern, minimal, or Scandinavian, then it’s best to opt for sheer or lace curtains to evoke a sleek, modernistic aura.
- Style of hardware
Lastly, you also need to carefully select the style of your hardware – i.e. curtain rods or rails – before you buy your curtains. There are various types of curtain hardware that you can pursue according to the style of your windows and drapes. Single rods with finials at the end look beautiful in classical style settings. Double rods are excellent for layering two curtain fabrics on top of each other, and if you want to hide the hardware completely, it’s best to opt for pelmets. If you want to showcase the curtain rail, then go for tab-top or eyelet style curtain designs and if you want to hide them completely, then valances are an excellent option to emulate a little flair.
So these are the things that you need to decide on before you actually go and buy your curtains. We hope this piece helps you style your windows with the perfect curtains.
Zana is a window treatments consultant with over 20 years of experience.
- Alternative Shutter Materials For Replacement Windows
- Wood Replacement Window Shutters
- Measurements, Fabric And Other Things To Decide On Before Buying Curtains
- Exterior Replacement Window Shutters
- Are Your Replacement Wasting Your Money?
- Weather-stripping Your Replacement Windows
- Fiberglass Frame Replacement Windows
- Solar Window Shades For Replacement Windows
- Winter Replacement Windows
- Bow Vs. Bay Replacement Windows
- Motorized Window Blinds and Replacement Windows
- What to Think About Before Choosing Blinds
- Entry Door Styles
- R-value and Patio Doors
- How To Care For Your Custom Windows and Doors
- Be Careful With Replacement Window Installation
- 4 Questions To Ask About Your Entry Door Contractors
- The Common Patio Door Contractor Process
- Double-Pane Glass For Custom Windows and Doors
- 5 Common Questions About Vinyl Replacement Windows
- 6 Original Ways to Decorate Your Entry Door
- Breathe New Life Into Your Patio Doors
- The Important of Locks
- Locks For Replacement Windows
- Entry Doors Versus Interior Doors
- Great Patio Door Locks
- Custom Glass For Custom Windows And Doors
- Save On Replacement Windows
- Should Your Entry Door Have Glass?
- All About Choosing Patio Doors
- Home Security and Custom Windows and Doors
- Do Replacement Windows Really Save You Money?
- Basic Types of Entry Doors
- Ten Steps For Amazing Patio Doors
- Tips and Tricks for Choosing the Best Custom Windows and Doors
- The Different Kinds of Replacement Windows
- Entry Door Security
- Patio Door Security
- Stained Glass For Your Custom Windows And Doors
- Replacement Windows and Your Historic Home
- The Basic Types of Entry Doors
- Choosing Your Ideal Patio Doors
- Amazing Features For Your Custom Windows and Doors
- Energy Efficiency Labels on Replacement Windows
- Trendy Entry Doors For Your Winnipeg, MB Home
- Top Patio Door Trends For 2018
- The Benefits of Custom Windows and Doors
- Energy Star Replacement Windows
- How to Choose the Right Entry Doors for Your Home
- 4 Priorities When Buying New Patio Doors
- Why Vinyl is an Excellent Material for Custom Windows and Doors
- 5 Questions to Ask When Choosing Replacement Windows
- Is it Time for New Entry Doors in Winnipeg, MB?
- 3 Types of Patio Doors in Winnipeg, MB
- Why Invest in Custom Windows and Doors in Winnipeg, MB?
- 5 Tips for Replacement Windows in Winnipeg, MB
- Financial Considerations When Choosing Windows in Selkirk, MB
- Home Value Increases from New Windows in Winnipeg
- Why Vinyl Windows Outperform Other Products in Lockport, MB
- Getting Started with Replacement Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Why You Need New Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Homeowner Tips: Caring for Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- What is the Cost of Window Installation in Selkirk, MB?
- 4 Features to Consider When Selecting Windows in Winnipeg
- The Best Care Tips for Windows in Winnipeg
- 5 Important Benefits of New Windows in Winnipeg
- Do You have Energy Efficient Windows Installed in Your Selkirk, MB Home?
- How to Find a Reliable Window Contractor in Selkirk, MB
- Are Vinyl Windows the Right Choice for Your Home in Lockport, MB?
- Choosing Vinyl Windows for a Property in Lockport, MB?
- 3 Signs It is Time to Replace the Windows in Your St Francis Xavier Home
- Quality Windows are Necessary to Reduce the Risk of Pest Infestations in St Francis Xavier
- Window Consultation in Winnipeg: Why Both Homeowners Should be in Attendance
- Residential Windows in Selkirk, MB: Should You Expect Wear and Tear?
- Easy Window Installation in St Francis Xavier
- 4 Steps to Choosing the Best Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- Why You Always Need an Experienced Contractor for Vinyl Window Installation in Lockport, MB
- Windows and Warranties: What Winnipeg Homeowners Need to Know
- Selkirk, MB Homeowners: How Can You Tell When the Windows Need to Be Replaced?
- Tips to Find a Professional Window Installer in St Francis Xavier
- 3 Things to Consider Before Choosing Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Vinyl Windows Are a Great Solution for Energy Efficiency in Lockport, MB
- You Deserve Quality Windows in Selkirk, MB
- Choosing the Right Windows in Winnipeg
- When is the Best Time of Year to Replace Windows in Winnipeg?
- Window Shopping in Selkirk, MB? Here’s What You Need to Know
- Proven Steps to Choose New Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- What Should You Do about Drafty Windows in St Francis Xavier?
- Easy Tips to Help You Choose a Windows Contractor in St Francis Xavier
- 4 Benefits of Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- How to Tell When the Windows Need to Be Replaced in Your Selkirk, MB Property
- How Much Should You Spend on Windows in Winnipeg?
- Choosing The Right Replacement Windows For Your Winnipeg Home
- Preparing For Your Window Replacement Project In St. Francis Xavier, MB!
- The Right Replacement Windows For Your East St. Paul, MB Home
- Replacement Window FAQs For The West St. Paul, MB Homeowner
- Your Whole-Home Replacement Window Project in Selkirk, MB
- Lockport, MB Window Replacements Just For You
- Knowing When To Replace Your Headingley, MB Windows
- Your Winnipeg Home's Entry Door & Your Unique Character
- A Patio Door For All Seasons
- Choose Pioneer For Your Custom Windows And Doors