Entry Door Security
Entry doors in Winnipeg, MB and across the country can pose a big security risk to homes. In fact, 70% of home invaders get in through a door rather than a window. Don’t worry, though. There are easy ways to make your home safer by bumping up your entry door security.
Solid - Your entry door should be kick-proof and solid. You need a solid door made from a tough material like wood or metal, or one with a solid wood core. This way, home invaders can’t kick or break through the door itself.
Get Rid of Extra Windows – While have windows in or your entry door lovely and welcoming, they make it easy for someone to break the glass and get into your home. If you’re installing a new entry door, choose one without a window to prevent someone from breaking the window and accessing the lock. If your door already has a window, replace the glass with reinforced glass or install decorative bars or metal reinforcement to make the window stronger.
No More Plants – Keep all shrubbery and flowers away from your entry door. Burglars might be deterred from attempting a break in if there are clear sightlines from the door to the street or a neighbor’s house.
Deadbolts – No matter how strong your door itself is, it won’t do any good if your lock is easily broken. A deadbolt is a quick and easy fix. When shopping for a deadbolt, don’t go for the cheapest model as they are easy to break. Go with a trusted brand with a long bolt that will extend far into your door.
Secondary Bolts – You can also install a secondary, one-sided deadbolt to use when you are home. These bolts are not accessible from the can only be turned from inside the house. Secondary bolts are almost impossible for a home invader to bypass, so they will keep you safe at night when you are sleeping.
Don’t Forget the Frame – Your entry door frame and doorjamb are also very important. One hard kick to a weal jamb or frame will have the door swinging open in no time at all. Get rid of thin or flimsy strike plates and go for a deeper box strike. Use 3-inch screws to install these strikes deep into the wall studs rather than smaller screws that only go through the doorjamb. You can also reinforce your doorjamb with galvanized steel to make it stronger.
Want to learn more about security or Winnipeg, MB entry doors? Contact Pioneer Window & Door Mfg Ltd. We have years of industry experience and would love to help you learn more about ways to protect your home or what options you have for entry doors. Visit us at 3224 Portage Ave Winnipeg, MB R3K 0Y8, or give us a call at (204) 889-8422. We would be happy to help you and your family stay safe at home with high-quality entry doors.
- Ten Steps For Amazing Patio Doors
- Tips and Tricks for Choosing the Best Custom Windows and Doors
- The Different Kinds of Replacement Windows
- Entry Door Security
- Patio Door Security
- Stained Glass For Your Custom Windows And Doors
- Replacement Windows and Your Historic Home
- The Basic Types of Entry Doors
- Choosing Your Ideal Patio Doors
- Amazing Features For Your Custom Windows and Doors
- Energy Efficiency Labels on Replacement Windows
- Trendy Entry Doors For Your Winnipeg, MB Home
- Top Patio Door Trends For 2018
- The Benefits of Custom Windows and Doors
- Energy Star Replacement Windows
- How to Choose the Right Entry Doors for Your Home
- 4 Priorities When Buying New Patio Doors
- Why Vinyl is an Excellent Material for Custom Windows and Doors
- 5 Questions to Ask When Choosing Replacement Windows
- Is it Time for New Entry Doors in Winnipeg, MB?
- 3 Types of Patio Doors in Winnipeg, MB
- Why Invest in Custom Windows and Doors in Winnipeg, MB?
- 5 Tips for Replacement Windows in Winnipeg, MB
- Financial Considerations When Choosing Windows in Selkirk, MB
- Home Value Increases from New Windows in Winnipeg
- Why Vinyl Windows Outperform Other Products in Lockport, MB
- Getting Started with Replacement Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Why You Need New Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Homeowner Tips: Caring for Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- What is the Cost of Window Installation in Selkirk, MB?
- 4 Features to Consider When Selecting Windows in Winnipeg
- The Best Care Tips for Windows in Winnipeg
- 5 Important Benefits of New Windows in Winnipeg
- Do You have Energy Efficient Windows Installed in Your Selkirk, MB Home?
- How to Find a Reliable Window Contractor in Selkirk, MB
- Are Vinyl Windows the Right Choice for Your Home in Lockport, MB?
- Choosing Vinyl Windows for a Property in Lockport, MB?
- 3 Signs It is Time to Replace the Windows in Your St Francis Xavier Home
- Quality Windows are Necessary to Reduce the Risk of Pest Infestations in St Francis Xavier
- Window Consultation in Winnipeg: Why Both Homeowners Should be in Attendance
- Residential Windows in Selkirk, MB: Should You Expect Wear and Tear?
- Easy Window Installation in St Francis Xavier
- 4 Steps to Choosing the Best Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- Why You Always Need an Experienced Contractor for Vinyl Window Installation in Lockport, MB
- Windows and Warranties: What Winnipeg Homeowners Need to Know
- Selkirk, MB Homeowners: How Can You Tell When the Windows Need to Be Replaced?
- Tips to Find a Professional Window Installer in St Francis Xavier
- 3 Things to Consider Before Choosing Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Vinyl Windows Are a Great Solution for Energy Efficiency in Lockport, MB
- You Deserve Quality Windows in Selkirk, MB
- Choosing the Right Windows in Winnipeg
- When is the Best Time of Year to Replace Windows in Winnipeg?
- Window Shopping in Selkirk, MB? Here’s What You Need to Know
- Proven Steps to Choose New Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- What Should You Do about Drafty Windows in St Francis Xavier?
- Easy Tips to Help You Choose a Windows Contractor in St Francis Xavier
- 4 Benefits of Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- How to Tell When the Windows Need to Be Replaced in Your Selkirk, MB Property
- How Much Should You Spend on Windows in Winnipeg?
- Choosing The Right Replacement Windows For Your Winnipeg Home
- Preparing For Your Window Replacement Project In St. Francis Xavier, MB!
- The Right Replacement Windows For Your East St. Paul, MB Home
- Replacement Window FAQs For The West St. Paul, MB Homeowner
- Your Whole-Home Replacement Window Project in Selkirk, MB
- Lockport, MB Window Replacements Just For You
- Knowing When To Replace Your Headingley, MB Windows
- Your Winnipeg Home's Entry Door & Your Unique Character
- A Patio Door For All Seasons
- Choose Pioneer For Your Custom Windows And Doors