Energy Efficiency Labels on Replacement Windows
Energy efficiency is crucial for replacement windows in Winnipeg, MB. But what does energy efficiency really mean? Energy efficient windows help regulate the air and temperature inside your home by keeping the outside air out. These windows use design, technology and construction to help keep your heater or air conditioner from working overtime. This not only lowers your carbon footprint but also to reduces your energy spending.
There are many kinds of energy efficient windows, each one offering different kinds of energy efficiency. Luckily, each window comes with an energy efficiency label to help you better understand what it offers. These labels have energy efficiency information clearly and concisely listed to help you make an informed decision when shopping for either replacement or new construction windows.
While these energy efficiency labels don’t tell you which windows to buy outright, they do provide general but clear information so you can decide for yourself the best windows for your home. The labels list different window ratings to give you a better idea of what the window can do. The ratings most commonly seen on energy efficiency labels are:
Visible Transmittance – Visible transmittance, or VT, is the percentage of visible light that a window transmits. In other words, it shows the amount of daylight an energy efficient vinyl window lets in. For example, a .55 VT window lets in 55% visible light. Since light is energy and energy is heat, lower VT rating mean cooler homes in sunny environments.
U-Value – U-Value is the measure of the rate of non-solar heat gain or loss, typically through a material or construction choice. Tests to determine a window’s U-Value are generally conducted in simulated environments with 0 degree temperatures outside, 70 degrees inside and a 15 mile per hour wind speed. The lower a U-Value a window has, the more resistant it is to heat flow and the better it is at insulating your home.
Solar Heat Gain Coefficient – Solar Heat Gain Coefficient, or SHGC, is the amount of solar radiation that any particular window emits through both absorption and inward release. A low SHGC means that window transmits low amounts of solar heat, meaning it has good shading ability. Get low SHGC energy efficient vinyl windows if you live in particularly sunny climates, but high SHGC windows if you live in areas with lots of clouds or rain, like Washington.
Different kinds of windows, from different materials to different designs, offer varying kinds of energy efficiency. Some windows are better than others for different climates and regions. Check out the climate zone map online to figure out what ratings, and therefore what windows, are best for your home.
If you want to learn more about energy efficiency and what the different labels and ratings mean, Pioneer Window & Door Mfg Ltd can help. We offer Winnipeg, MB replacement window services and can help you choose the best windows for your home. Visit our showroom at 3224 Portage Ave Winnipeg, MB R3K 0Y8 to see options in person, or give us a call at (204) 889-8422 for more information.
- Ten Steps For Amazing Patio Doors
- Tips and Tricks for Choosing the Best Custom Windows and Doors
- The Different Kinds of Replacement Windows
- Entry Door Security
- Patio Door Security
- Stained Glass For Your Custom Windows And Doors
- Replacement Windows and Your Historic Home
- The Basic Types of Entry Doors
- Choosing Your Ideal Patio Doors
- Amazing Features For Your Custom Windows and Doors
- Energy Efficiency Labels on Replacement Windows
- Trendy Entry Doors For Your Winnipeg, MB Home
- Top Patio Door Trends For 2018
- The Benefits of Custom Windows and Doors
- Energy Star Replacement Windows
- How to Choose the Right Entry Doors for Your Home
- 4 Priorities When Buying New Patio Doors
- Why Vinyl is an Excellent Material for Custom Windows and Doors
- 5 Questions to Ask When Choosing Replacement Windows
- Is it Time for New Entry Doors in Winnipeg, MB?
- 3 Types of Patio Doors in Winnipeg, MB
- Why Invest in Custom Windows and Doors in Winnipeg, MB?
- 5 Tips for Replacement Windows in Winnipeg, MB
- Financial Considerations When Choosing Windows in Selkirk, MB
- Home Value Increases from New Windows in Winnipeg
- Why Vinyl Windows Outperform Other Products in Lockport, MB
- Getting Started with Replacement Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Why You Need New Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Homeowner Tips: Caring for Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- What is the Cost of Window Installation in Selkirk, MB?
- 4 Features to Consider When Selecting Windows in Winnipeg
- The Best Care Tips for Windows in Winnipeg
- 5 Important Benefits of New Windows in Winnipeg
- Do You have Energy Efficient Windows Installed in Your Selkirk, MB Home?
- How to Find a Reliable Window Contractor in Selkirk, MB
- Are Vinyl Windows the Right Choice for Your Home in Lockport, MB?
- Choosing Vinyl Windows for a Property in Lockport, MB?
- 3 Signs It is Time to Replace the Windows in Your St Francis Xavier Home
- Quality Windows are Necessary to Reduce the Risk of Pest Infestations in St Francis Xavier
- Window Consultation in Winnipeg: Why Both Homeowners Should be in Attendance
- Residential Windows in Selkirk, MB: Should You Expect Wear and Tear?
- Easy Window Installation in St Francis Xavier
- 4 Steps to Choosing the Best Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- Why You Always Need an Experienced Contractor for Vinyl Window Installation in Lockport, MB
- Windows and Warranties: What Winnipeg Homeowners Need to Know
- Selkirk, MB Homeowners: How Can You Tell When the Windows Need to Be Replaced?
- Tips to Find a Professional Window Installer in St Francis Xavier
- 3 Things to Consider Before Choosing Windows in St Francis Xavier
- Vinyl Windows Are a Great Solution for Energy Efficiency in Lockport, MB
- You Deserve Quality Windows in Selkirk, MB
- Choosing the Right Windows in Winnipeg
- When is the Best Time of Year to Replace Windows in Winnipeg?
- Window Shopping in Selkirk, MB? Here’s What You Need to Know
- Proven Steps to Choose New Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- What Should You Do about Drafty Windows in St Francis Xavier?
- Easy Tips to Help You Choose a Windows Contractor in St Francis Xavier
- 4 Benefits of Vinyl Windows in Lockport, MB
- How to Tell When the Windows Need to Be Replaced in Your Selkirk, MB Property
- How Much Should You Spend on Windows in Winnipeg?
- Choosing The Right Replacement Windows For Your Winnipeg Home
- Preparing For Your Window Replacement Project In St. Francis Xavier, MB!
- The Right Replacement Windows For Your East St. Paul, MB Home
- Replacement Window FAQs For The West St. Paul, MB Homeowner
- Your Whole-Home Replacement Window Project in Selkirk, MB
- Lockport, MB Window Replacements Just For You
- Knowing When To Replace Your Headingley, MB Windows
- Your Winnipeg Home's Entry Door & Your Unique Character
- A Patio Door For All Seasons
- Choose Pioneer For Your Custom Windows And Doors